Sunday, June 14, 2009

Three Grrrrs and One to Smile

Hey Everyone!

I’m currently listening to Who’d Have Known by Lily Allen.

So, I went to an event today and ended up in an interesting conversation with a couple of ladies. They were asking me about my plans for the future. I told them about my plans to be an English teacher. The chit chat was pleasant and not too in depth. Then one of the ladies asked why I wanted to be an English teacher. I launched into my usual “thing” on how I have always loved reading and inspiring people to love the language and literature as much as I do, will be fantastic.

Then… it happened…

Another lady who was listening said something about having all the time off so I could travel or pursue other things of my liking. Without even thinking I made a comment about how it will be perfect because I will be able to concentrate more on my house and husband. The lady was aghast at the comment, as were two other ladies in the conversation.

I had to listen to three ladies attack my personal wants today. It is quite annoying to have people think that my wants are “archaic” and “stupid”. One of the ladies in the conversation was genuinely interested in how someone my age would have such a view, and after getting attacked I went to a corner and talked to her about it.

So even though I had to deal with the three ladies, the one was really nice and happy that I could make such a “mature and healthy” decision.

Two of the women who attacked me and my wants are not married and never have been. The other one just got divorced a year ago (or a little over). I am not surprised. She was rambling off on how no woman should be a “doting little June Cleaver”. Maybe if she had a little more June in her, she would still be married…

I’m not saying that what I want works for everyone, I don’t preach it off mountain tops. You have to figure out what works for you, but I know what will work for me.

Overall, annoyed at three ladies and happy with one.

= )

Soul

No comments: