Saturday, July 25, 2009

Slips of Time.

Hey Everyone!

I'm currently listening to Fine by Debra Arlyn.

When I was in my first and second year of high school writing notes was the coolest thing to do. You would spend whole class periods writing about the mundane things to pass along to your "BEST FRIEND" during passing period. I remember coming home some days and having the bottom of my backpack littered with the neatly folded pieces of notebook paper. I always deposited them in this decorative pink box. Once the note exchanges dwindled, the box got forgotten. It was put in a remote corner of my closet and never looked at.

Well, today I was going through my closet and finding all sorts of things I didn't remember I had. [Such as I have SOOOO much freakin' jewelry!] Then the pink box was found. I smiled at the memory of all the classes I wasted writing about how cold I was in class, or how much I wanted to fall asleep but absolutely refused [saved falling asleep in class until senior year. Classy.]. I opened the top of the box and was actually a little surprised at how full it was. However considering how often I was writing and exchanging notes, I guess I shouldn't have been. I remember actually fretting over that Mail wasn't going to be able to get her note until 4th period and Manhattan wouldn't get hers until 6th period. Oh the horror! Still, as much as it amuses me now to think back on it, it was fun. As silly as telling people about what I ate for dinner seems now, at least we talked. Now our communications are saved for 160 character text messages.

I'm not saying I'm going to start writing notes again, but I understand why it was so fun back then. I have the box on my bed and I am going to read through some of them now. There are a lot, so I don't know how much I will be able to get through, but I think a walk down memory lane will be fun.

:)

Soul

1 comment:

AlwaysEloquent said...

Aw...I found some old notes the other week when I was cleaning out a drawer in my bedroom. It was so strange to look back and see what was SO VITALLY IMPORTANT back in high school and middle school. I even found a whole notebook that Hannah and I filled up with our notes. We would take it and drop it in each other's lockers during passing periods and on and on the cycle would go. It seemed so important back then, but now it's just a pleasant memory of easier times. I got such a kick out of going though those letters...