Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sing it With Meeeeeeeeeeee

Hey Everyone!

I'm currently listening to Already Gone by Kelly Clarkson.

One thing about me that my friends and family are sure to tell you right off the bat about me, is that I love to sing. Off-pitch, but without shame. This isn't about my horrendous renditions of "Ain't no Mountain High Enough", this is about how as humans we have moved music into our lives.

Whenever I am sad, I throw on Kate Nash's "The Nicest Thing". Whenever I am mad, I throw on Three Days Grace's "I Hate [everything about you]". My mood dictates what I can stand listening to. Which is why my IPOD has over 10,000 songs. I need music to go about my daily activities. Right now, I'm listening to Kelly Clarkson's "I do not Hook up" while writing this blog. Which can be quite distracting because I want to stand up and dance around as I belt out the lyrics, but I will somehow stop myself. I listen to my favorite "driving music" whenever I am in the car. [I recommend Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell"] I listen to dance music and oldies when I am cooking, such as The Partridge Family's "I think I love you". Every activity that I do has a soundtrack.

I find that most of my friends are the same way. When did music integrate into our daily lives? IPOD headphones are now normal to be seen in offices, walking down the streets, and in classrooms. Music has infiltrated our lives to the point where our bosses think nothing of tapping our shoulders to let us know they need something because we are absorbed in "Right Round" by Flo Rida.

Everywhere I go I see headphones and people listening to their own soundtracks. Does this hinder our interactions with the people around us? Are we forsaking our interpersonal development for the "relationship" between us and our music?

:)

Soul

No comments: